A few weeks back we had the opportunity to study Ecclesiastes 5:1 Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil
For me that was an eye opening verse that reminded me to guard my life against the Sunday routine. Throughout the course of my life I have been to church on Sunday for corporate worship many times. I find it extremely easy to approach my Sunday experience like any other day. Ecclesiastes 5:1 serves as a reminder that without intentionality it is easy to “offer the sacrifice of fools” and turn against God while committing a great evil in His sight. Here are a few suggestions that will serve to prepare you well as you “go to the house of God”.
1. Take time on Saturday just to stop and pray for Sunday. Pray for your pastor. Pray for your Community Group leader. They are preparing for you and for your soul, spend some time in prayer preparing your heart for them. Pray for the family of God. Pray that the nursery and children’s workers are loving and helpful to your children as they seek to point their hearts toward Jesus. Pray for the hearts of people to be softened by the greatness and glory of God. Pray that your heart will be receptive to the Word of God and that the teaching of His Word and the worship of His people bring Him honor.
2. Take time on Saturday to confess sin. You have battled your own sinful heart all week. There were moments of sweet victory and then there were moments of disbelief. Confess your faith in the work of Christ and turn from the rebellion of self-glorification toward the grace and mercy of Christ. Confess your failures within the home and at work. Remember the work of Christ and the one you seek to worship. Take time to pray through a passage like 1 Peter 1:3-5 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
3. Don’t wait until Sunday to start getting ready. Make it as easy as possible to have a calm Sunday morning. Think through the the details that would help create less distractions. Thinking through Sunday morning issues like food, clothes and transportation. If your car is low on gas it may be helpful to go ahead and deal with it on Saturday rather than Sunday.
4. Take time on Sunday morning to set your heart for God. Play some Christ-honoring music that will help direct your heart toward Him. I would urge you to listen to something where the words of truth are clear and sung in a way where your heart will resonate with their truth. Get your Bible out and read it. if you know the passage for corporate worship take time to read through the text.
5. Arrive with expectation. Expect to encounter people who have needs. Come with an attitude of service. Expect to hear from God through the preaching of His Word. Long for Christ and His grace in your soul. Look and listen for the sweet words of the Gospel. Let your heart be refreshed and renewed once again in the hope that only Christ can give! Cherish His grace in your own soul and speak of Him to the others around you after the service. Sing the words of truth with boldness and confidence that encourages the hearts of God’s people.
Our Pastor writes most of the blog posts we publish, however, occasionally some of our other church leadership (some staff, some volunteer) who also contribute to the New Life blog.